Friday, April 4, 2014

Week in Review 2014 - 04/04

Sample quilted with gray variegated thread.
Tips, Thoughts and Techniques:

Often, when I meet someone new they ask me what I do. The conversation follows a predictable path that frequently leads to my new acquaintance stating that "I would love to do that, but I just don't have the patience." Do I have more patience than she? Am I more patient than most people? Certainly I can't answer that question. I tend to look at this premise differently. What I have learned about myself and come to accept, grudgingly about myself, is that I am tortoise. I am a slow, methodical person. When I accept this and don't rush, I do better. When I go against my

Sample quilted with jewel toned variegated thread
nature and push to go harder, faster or longer than I am comfortable with - disaster! In fact the longer I am in the business of making art quilts the more I slow down, at least in some aspects of the creation process. I spend far more time these days auditioning fabric choices, designs, quilting motifs and even techniques before I settle in on one or another. For example with Tumbling Blocks I did a fair amount of auditioning the border before I selected the one with the stained glass feel and corner blocks. I also tried out two very different thread possibilities for quilting the black and white blocks. I ended up selecting the gray variegated thread versus the jewel toned variegated thread.

Last week I was wondering whether I could settle down and concentrate this week. I did. As you will see I did 100% of the first item on my list plus a bit more. Yeah!

1)  Tumbling Blocks I (Due April 30) 
Tumbling Blocks, pieced but not quilted.


a) Finishing piecing the top - Done!
b) Piece the backing - Done!
c) Baste the quilt for quilting - Done!
d) begin quilting - Done!

One of the advantages of testing techniques and other aspects of putting together the current project is that I have practice scraps to do further testing. When I first started piecing the hexagons I did a test strip first. When I needed to test the quilting motif I simply pieced that strip with some black fabric. This way I had something to hold on to and I now have the beginnings of my next sampler to practice my Leah Day free motion quilting motifs.



2) Leah Day projects.

a) Baste the face, torso and arms to Express Your Love II. - On hold until the quilts with deadlines are completed.

b) Do Leah Day's Free Motion Quilting lesson. - Done!

Isn't this a fun quilting motif? Leah Day has given it the title, Alien Eggs. Honestly it reminds me of spermatozoa. ;) It could make for subtle commentary on the right quilt.


Leah Day suggests that this motif, Alien Eggs would make
a great sashing motif.

My take on Dyan Reaveley's lesson.
3) LifeBook 2014 - Do the assignments.

Our teacher for Life Book this week was Dyan Reaveley. It was listed as a bonus lesson versus one of the more intense featured lessons. All I can say is that Dyan packed quite a bit in for a bonus lesson. One thing I struggle with is how to incorporate lettering/text in my art work. Dyan has a simple solution to this. She had us write out a full page of stream of conscientiousness text on separate page. Next we drew the outline of our shapes, such as tree trunks and flowers on top of the text. These shapes are painted with watered down permanent ink. Finally the shapes are cut out leaving approximately 1/16 of an inch extra. Very effective, don't you think?




4) Little Lake Butte des Morts in Fall (Due August 3) - a commissioned quilt - On hold until quilts with earlier deadlines are completed. 

Start piecing the quilt.

5Tickling the Ivories - make and attach the label.

Not a bad week. I have a few commitments next week, but hopefully I won't loose my momentum. Here are my plans for next week and beyond:

1)  Tumbling Blocks I (Due April 30) 

a) finish quilting the inner section
b) finish quilting the border
c) block and square up the quilt
d) make the binding
e) attach the binding
f) make the sleeve
g) attach the sleeve

2) Leah Day projects.

a) Baste the face, torso and arms to Express Your Love II. - On hold until the quilts with deadlines are completed.

b) Do Leah Day's Free Motion Quilting lesson.

3) LifeBook 2014 - Do the assignments.

4) Little Lake Butte des Morts in Fall (Due August 3) - a commissioned quilt - On hold until quilts with earlier deadlines are completed. 

Start piecing the quilt.

5Tickling the Ivories - make and attach the label.


I am now linking up to two blogs on Friday's. The first is Leah Day's Free Motion Quilting Project and the second is Nina Marie's Off the Wall Fridays.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I just want to say I always enjoy your blog. You do such pretty work. And you do so good with your schedule. I wish I had a little bit of your commitment level. Thank you for sharing with all of us.

    ReplyDelete