Friday, September 12, 2014

Week in Review 2014 - 09/12


 Tips, Thoughts and Techniques:
Free motion quilting practice piece.
The cheater panel is a Leah Day design.

John Lennon, in his song, Beautiful Boy wrote "Life is what happens to you when you are busy making other plans." My research into where this quote came from  speaks to the quote. Once again, one thought leads to the next and then the next and I have the itch to know just a bit more. In fact I can get so far afield that I nearly forget what started the research in the first place. In this case it was because I planned to use the Lennon quote as my opening sentence. Confession, I do not think about what I am going to write about in my weekly blog much more than a couple of hours before I sit down to write. Even then I just let my mind drift over the week hoping that it will snag on a subject. Invariably whatever I plan to write changes fairly dramatically from that first glimmer of an idea. What I did think about is that those of you who have taken time to share your thoughts about my blog have often wished that you could be as organized and focused as I am. Yes, I am organized and focused. However, every week and every day "Life is what happens to me when I am busy making other plans."

Three leaves of Night Vision have been pieced.
Just three more to go plus the poison dart frog.
Despite a week of constant interruptions, commitments and demands I did make progress on all three of my chosen focus projects. Here is how that went:

1) Night Vision - (Due January 1, 2015)

a) Continue the piecing - Done

I would have liked to have pieced more. In fact I thought I could finish piecing two leaves, not just one this week. But then life happened… Sigh!




2) Free motion quilting practice. - Done!

I created a filler design that I tested in the circle that
surrounds the goddess. On paper it looks like seed pods.
It definitely needs more open space to shine.
I was sorely tempted to skip time practicing my free motion quilting, but I rallied. I do believe that practice helps to keep the mind, hand, foot connection in synch if you at least do an hour or two of free motion quilting weekly. That way when a major quilt is ready to be quilted the fear factor is greatly diminished and the quilting flows as naturally as piecing a four patch.

3) LifeBook 2014 - Do the assignments. - Done!

There were two life book assignments this week. I did them both!! 

Lola is my model for Home is Where the Cat is.
This photo could be titled The Cat is Very much at Home. :)
The first was on developing or determining your voice. In 2005 - 2008 my voice was clear. However, in 2008 I learned we would be moving and it took until 2011 to be out of moving/settling mode and back in the studio again. That voice no longer spoke to me. I have been pushing new boundaries. Did I have a voice? I believe I do. It just isn't as obvious as it was in the past. If you are interested, please drop by my website look over the work and then return to the blog and tell me what ties my work together. 

My take on the Artsy Abode lesson inspired
by my cat and wonderful picture of a
contemporary home designed to include many
places for cats to run, perch and hide.
Click on the image for enlarged view.
After determining what I believed was my voice in fiber arts, I couldn't help but look for how this was influencing me in my mixed media voice, especially as the lessons have become less how to draw or what layer to put on top of what layer and are instead giving the student much more input. The piece I made for the topic, Artsy Abode, titled Home is Where the Cat is, does in fact share much in common with my more recent fiber art work.

Life is happening next week in an even bigger way, so I will be taking a week off from making and writing about art. It is good to take a break on occasion. At least that is what I reassure myself with. When I return here these are the projects I will direct myself to.


1) Night Vision - (Due January 1, 2015)

a) Continue the piecing

2) Free motion quilting practice.

3) LifeBook 2014 - Do the assignments.


I am now linking up to two blogs on Fridays. The first is Nina Marie's Off the Wall Fridays and the second is Free Motion Mavericks.

5 comments:

  1. Love the piece - home is where the cat is bliss - so true! All of your free motion practice is really paying off. I see confidence in your stitches - smooth and even - nice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your free motion quilting is superb! It sure doesn't look like a practice piece. Also love the way the leaf is coming along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Just curious as to how long you've actually been practicing FMQ? This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Lola is so beautiful, she reminds me of my beloved Gizzie. Love your FMQ, wish that I can do this with my new found retirement times. Will have to be as organized as yourself or I will just while away the hours doing this and that. Really enjoy your blog and love the art pieces that you create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do my share of drifting. My blog is my way of focusing on the glass half full. It is amazing how much any of us get done in a week when we take the time to catalog it. I do find it is easiest if I have plan. Leah Day's lessons on FMQ are fabulous for the self motivated. One trick I have learned is to allows have a quilt sandwich (batting, backing and top) ready to be FMQ. It is a great way to put all that fabric you have been collecting over the years to good use. I use solid colors so that the quilting shows for my blog.

      Delete