Friday, November 13, 2015

Week in Review 2015 - 11/13


View from the top floor of our condo just before 7:00 a.m.
Tips, Thoughts and Techniques:


What a week! Everything was humming along until Wednesday and it has been a roller coaster ride ever since. I finished free motion quilting Deconstructed Sunrise #3 on Wednesday morning. The next step was to give it a soak in the tub to remove the glue basting and water soluble thread. Imagine my horror when deep indigo blue dye started to stream off the quilt instantaneously. I knew all the fabric had been pre-washed and the few hand-dye/surface design fabrics that I created had not only been washed but heat set. Apparently NOT! It was one of my hand-dyes that had been in the closet for several years that was leeching dye in a big way. I changed the water multiple times until it ran clear. Next I set it on an old white mattress pad to dry. There was no evidence of dye on the pad that night. Everything looked fine until Thursday morning. OMG the dye had migrated into the palest of the suns. What did I have to loose? I folded Deconstructed Sunrise #3 to fit in a laundry bag and ran it through the washing machine (gentle cycle with the spin cycle cancelled) with some gentle detergent and a Shout sheet. This did the trick. Hurrah!! Early this morning my husband and I squared it up so that I could start the facing. I can breath again. 

Fortunately the "incident didn't happen until late in the week, so I was able to attend to the following:
View from the basement level an hour or so later.
Deconstructed Sunrise #3 in position on my sewing
cabinet in preparation for having the facings attached.
Isn't the backing fabric great?

1)  Continue quilting Deconstructed Sunrise #3 (Due November 30, 2015) - Done!

2) Free motion quilting practice. - Done!

3) Post the number of days I have worked in my studio in 2015 - 95.5/126


4) Perform a random act of kindness - Done!

Thanksgiving is just around the corner, but there is still a week to go. I am determined to power my way through the following, before the holidays side track me:

1)   Deconstructed Sunrise #3 (Due November 30, 2015)

a) Stitch down the facing
b) Prepare the Call for Entry photographs
c) Submit my entry

2) Free motion quilting practice.

3) Post the number of days I have worked in my studio in 2015

4) Perform a random act of kindness
 
I am now linking up to two blogs on Fridays. The first is Nina Marie's Off the Wall Fridays and the second is Free Motion Mavericks.

2 comments:

  1. Yikes.....what a heart stopping event.......I still have hand-dyed fabrics from 20 years ago when few if any makers were making sure the fabric dyes were stable......scares me to use them, even after using Synthropol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Gwyned, total nightmare! I'm so relieved to hear that you have managed to salvage the situation.

    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete