Saturday, September 23, 2017

Week in Review 2017 - 09/22


Experiment in Equilaterals is the current
project under my needle.
Tips, Thoughts and Techniques:

Hillary Clinton has been on a recent publicity tour promoting her book, What Happened. No surprise, a common interview question is, "Did you see the loss coming?" This is quickly followed up by, "How have you coped?" The answer to the first question is an emphatic, NO! What has surprised me is what Clinton turned to as coping strategies. She took lots of walks with her dog, cleaned her closets, and did alternate nostril breathing. 

My tip is to follow Clinton's lead. I admit, they are my coping strategies, too. I don't have dogs, but I do begin my day with exercise. The current regime is biking in the National Bike Challenge. I have logged over 1,600 miles this season. I have been doing a substantial purge of items around the house and in the studio, which no longer suit me, or I haven't used in 7 or more years. Then there is alternate nostril breathing. It is different from a cleansing breath. The point is to quiet the mind and restore balance. It is very easy to do. Here is a link, which covers why engage in alternate nostril breathing and how to do it. 

You don't need to loose a very public election to feel stress. Creating art, for all the joy it brings, can be stressful. It can also be stressful to find the right balance between creating art and attending to the rest of a full, busy life. Yes, my life has been both full and busy this week. Still, I found the time to:

1) Work on Experiment in Equilaterals - Done!
Close up of the quilting progress on
Experiment in Equilaterals.

2) Finish Picking Up the Pieces #1 and #3, #4 - Not yet.

3) Pot(s) made this week - Done!

If tossing possessions and creations out of the house can count, I have been making pots. Each choice to remove something, is a decision. The more decisions I make, hopefully, the easier it comes to make these decisions. Just as the more pots made, the more instinctual one becomes at making them.

4) Free motion quilting practice - Done!

I did lots, and lots, of free motion quilting on Experiment in Equilaterals

Next week will likely be more of the same, which is why my plan for the week rarely varies as you can see:

1) Work on Experiment in Equilaterals

2) Finish Picking Up the Pieces #1 and #3, #4

3) Pot(s) made this week

4) Free motion quilting practice

I am now linking up to two blogs on Fridays. The first is Nina Marie's Off the Wall Fridays and the second is Free Motion Mavericks.

3 comments:

  1. As the great Pete Seeger once said " every time I'm in the woods I feel like I'm in church"
    It is vital to my sanity to take the time to walk with only dogs - no talking, no listening to audio - just enjoying the sounds of life. We all have our own "lifelines" the key is to take the time for yourself no matter what it is. I think as we get older we understand that more. Being creative is another one. How do you feel if you don't do something creative each day? Even if for only 10 minutes. It's a need not a want in my book. Another great thought provoking post :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great post and great comment. Great words from Pete Seeger! Silence is restorative as is walking out and about and noticing the gifts of nature, for me. And i get cranky if i delay the making of what iffs, more than a day or so. When i walk into my studio i feel better because i know there are projects in various stages of becoming, waiting for me to engage.

      Delete
  2. Totally agree with exercise, meditative practices as stress relievers. And, cleaning out old possessions that are not used creates a more freeing home environment plus passes on unused clothing, household goods to those who can use it. Great ideas to pass on, Gwyned!

    ReplyDelete